Introducing your baby to water has a whole host of benefits.
For the baby, it’s a beautiful sensorial experience, taking them right back to their humble beginnings of swimming around in Mummy’s tummy. Water can often provide great comfort to little ones, calming them down and relaxing any stresses they may be feeling.
For the adult, it’s an enchanting bonding activity. It is one-to-one time where there are no distractions and no devices.
Whether it’s bath time or a trip to the swimming pool, you are giving your child something precious that no amount of money can buy; your undivided time.
As well as time together to connect with your baby, baby swimming is also teaching your little one an essential life skill – particularly by taking them to the pool.
You’re teaching your baby to be water confident, to respect the dangers that it can present, and in doing so, showing them how much fun can be had from the hobby.
But as a parent, what a hassle baby swimming can be some times!
Getting ready for baby swimming
I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve taken either of my children swimming, only to have forgotten something. If it’s not a swim nappy, it’s a swimming costume or £1 for the locker.
Or worse still, I’ve left one of my possessions in the changing rooms afterwards.
Now that I have the two nippers, I have to be organised when it comes to a trip to the swimming pool.
Luckily, I’ve had a helping hand, receiving this super cute haul of Splash About swimming items.
All of the items have arrived with perfect timing too as my baby boy seems to have outgrown all of his swimming kit.
The Happy Nappy he wore gave a nice snug fit with plenty of room as he grows over the next few months – much better than the smaller one I squeezed him into last month! The soft anti-bacterial change mat was a lifesaver too as I had to change ‘His Wriggliness’ on a pretty manky floor, as was the hooded towel that kept him warm once we were out of the pool too (not to mention is really cute!). These are definitely on my list of swim bag essentials.
But wait! Those kind peeps over at Splash About have given me a super baby swimming bundle to giveaway too! Scroll down…
I thought it might be handy to share the checklist of how I prepare for a swimming lesson or family swim.
- Leave the swimming bag fully stocked, or at least 90% of the items you need, and in a place you can easily grab it quickly to stick the rest of the bits in.
- Don’t get changed in the middle of a communal changing area – head to a corner and pen your children in to keep everything in one place as well as reduce wet areas.
- Keep more than one swim nappy in the bag in case of rips or accidents. Or better still opt for a reusable neoprene swim nappy. Splash About’s Happy Nappy is swim-school approved, leak proof, durable and dries quickly too!
- Take a buggy or car seat into the changing room if you can so that you can secure the baby once they are dressed – particularly useful for rollers or crawlers!
- Get the baby dry and warm first, and quickly throw your own clothes on before dressing them fully to avoid drippy hair soaking them.
- Make sure you have snacks, drinks, bottles or can feed babies to placate temper tantrums.
- DON’T RUSH. It’s stressful enough as it is! Take your time and make allowances for extra unplanned things to crop up such as feeds or trips to the toilet.
- A large swim bag with inside pockets for £1 coins, hair bands, membership cards, cash etc.
- Towels – one for you and a hooded towel for each child
- A change mat
- A Happy Nappy protective layer
- A swim nappy or liner
- Swimming costumes, trunks and wetsuits
- Inflatables – arm bands or swim seats
- Toys to play with – handy for pool and changing room
- Flip flops
- Snacks and drinks
- A hair brush
- Toiletries including detangler, shower gel, deodorant etc.
- Dry clothes and underwear
Win a Splash About bundle!
This awesome prize contains the following (in your choice of design):
For the chance to win one, simply enter below!
Terms & Conditions
1 prize of a Splash About bundle including Happy Nappy, Change Mat and towel of design of winner’s choice (1 winner) provided directly by Splash About. No cash alternatives. Winner will be selected at random after 7/12/18.
No purchase necessary. Competition is open to UK residents over 18 years only from 12/11/18-6/12/18.
Entry into this competition confirms that you accept the Terms and Conditions and decisions of the blog.
Your data will not be shared with 3rd parties.
[pin_board url=”https://www.pinterest.co.uk/fromtumtomum/blog-linkies/” size=”custom” image_width=”100″ board_width=”600″ board_height=”200″]