A healthy nutritious recipes for pregnancy.
There’s no denying that after a long day of waddling around whilst pregnant, you don’t always feel like slaving over a cooker to make your evening meal.
But in actual fact, this is the time you should be taking more time to eat healthy nutritious food for both you and little one.
This recipe suggestion is an easy, tasty and nutritious meal you could either cook quickly after work, or make ahead to simply reheat.
Chicken Fricassée (taken from ASDA Magazine, issue July 2014)
Serves 4, takes 40 minutes
1tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
600g chicken breast, diced
350ml stock (preferably chicken or bouion, but vegetable will also be fine) – made with 1 stock cube or equivalent power
1 1/2 level tsp dried mixed herbs
150g mushrooms (fresh or frozen), sliced
150g carrots, chopped
1 level tsp cornflour
100ml reduced-fat créme fraiche
Boiled new potatoes and green beans to serve
- Heat the oil, add the shallots and cook until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. Using the remaining oil, add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently until it starts to brown.
- Return the shallots to the pan with the stock and herbs, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour with 2tbsp of water and stir into the fricassée. Simmer, stirring until thickened.
- Stir in the créme fraiche and heat through.
- Serve with the new potatoes and green beans.