If you’re a regular reader of my blog, you’ll have already read that my husband and I recently enjoyed a child-free ski holiday together.
We have skied together for years, but each time I go, I forget how much I love and also hate about a ski holiday.
And given that we have a 2 year old now, it’s been a bit tricky to cram in a ski holiday so those memories have been buried for a few years.
Fast forward 2 ski seasons later and a few days away quickly reminded me of both the really annoying and really splendid things about a ski holiday I’d forgotten.
Cue a list of #FirstWorldProblems:
- You HAVE TO wear slippers to breakfast in your hotel – your feet need those extra few minutes of comfy to recover between ski days.
- The amount of layers you have to put on to keep warm – I had 5 layers on and was still cold (it was -20 degrees up those lifts).
- How unique the decor is – think wood, wood and more wood, with a dash of gingham for good measure.
- That it’s basically Christmas all season. Yep, forget all those haters who say Christmas decorations should only be up for December. Try Nov-April.
- That cheese can be on the menu for every meal – believe it or not, that was a bowl of soup (with extra cheese).
- Also, carbs are irrelevant – load me up with pasta, baguette, croutons and pizza all in one meal. Huzzah!
- What an absolute ball ache it is to put on your ski equipment – layers, snoods, gloves, helmets and those f**king boots.
- How amazing it is to take all of that off again – especially those f**king boots.
- That noise of a snowboarder behind you – I immediately think I’m about to be returned to resort in a body bag.
- Skiers vs boarders – annual earshot of the classic phrases “dicks on sticks” and “gays on trays”. Yes, really.
- How expensive lunch is; £20 for a spag bol, bowl of soup, and jug of tap water.
- That you can drink wine whenever you fancy (and not be judged). In fact, you’re more likely to be judged for not drinking. Another vin chard please!
- How beautiful the scenery is – it feels like you are looking at panoramic wall art most days.
- What a god forsaken place Geneva is – I hate that place with a passion. Delays, £6 Starbucks, and crap flight information. Yuck.
- That I actually quite enjoy it – yeah, I suppose I do really.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram.